Ocropy (also called ocropus) is not a standalone program for text recognition: it consists of several command line modules for
- binarization (creates a binary raster graphic)
- segmentation (splitting documents into lines)
- optical character recognition (OCR)
- controlling the recognised text and
- training new character sets.
Ocropy is free, modules for new fonts are relatively easy to create, and – with a little preprocessing of the images – it has very good recognition rates – up to 98% (see fig. 1).